Saturday, October 8, 2011

Kate McKinnon's Groovy Cuff

Kate McKinnon's Groovy cuff
I picked up the beads for this cuff over the summer at The Isle of Beads. Normally I'm not drawn to grey, but when I saw these I instantly grabbed a hank of the gold and knew what I wanted to make - The Groovy Cuff. None of the photos really show off the how pretty the grey-blue seeds beads are.  The color combination really reminded me of something my great-grandmother Mildred would have appreciated. The top layer is made with pale blue-gray lined clear 11/0's and black diamond 15/0's.  The wider bottom layer is matte metallic antique gold 11/0's and the same black diamond 15/0's.  I really learned right angle weave working on this.  Once I got into the rhythm it was pretty easy to keep stitching and stitching.

This is the piece that was in the December 2009 Beadwork as The Modern Art Cuff (also on the cover of  the Favorite Stitches edition).  I think I like the brighter, more whimsical colors of the magazine pieces a little better, but these colors are sort of the opposite and are definitely understated and easy to wear. As soon as I finished stitching I wanted to put it on and I found this sari silk ribbon shimmering all pink and gold so I never got around to making a proper clasp.  I love the big bow which does not actually sit on top, but flops over the middle just as a regular clap would.  

I have also been searching for some glass sequins with which to embellish this piece, but haven't found any I liked.  All that I've run across are just too plasticy.  Of course that doesn't mean much because I have very few places to look.  At some point this weekend I'm headed to Havana, Florida (just north west of Tallahassee) to a little bead show.  Maybe luck will be with me.  Do you have any good sources for glass or other good quality sequins or metal discs?
click on collage to enlarge

2 comments:

  1. Lois, you can order the Swarovski sequins from Fusion Beads online...they're gorgeous and come in several sizes and lots of colors. They are article 3128 here: http://www.fusionbeads.com/shop/category/164/Swarovski_Elements_Crystal_Sew-On_Stones/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, that's nice, Lois! I love the ribbon. Using glass sequins would be interesting... It's possible that it might make the piece very stiff and heavy, though. But it would be so sparkly... Vintage celluloid would be quite nice as well. I have quite a collection at home if you want me to send you a few.

    ReplyDelete