Monday, November 28, 2011

Flower Power

my finished piece -below is the story (& more pictures) of how I got here
The problem with designing for Lorelei's Jade Scott Enameled Flower Challenge is that my flower is so gorgeous I didn't want to do anything with it except look at it.  I put it in a tiny glass vial on the window sill above my kitchen sink and admired it every chance I got.  Now this doesn't mean that I didn't have a thousand ideas floating around in my head.  This precious little bloom really inspired me.  Thanks, Lorelei, for making my love affair with a tiny piece of enameled copper possible!
look at that cute number six
I decided I wanted to do something with a bunch of beads, some chain, and some bead woven components, but still keep the focus on #6.

At first I wove some tiny Russian leaves.  These were dainty and didn't detract from #6.  For a few days I played with Russian leaves and made these earrings with matte golden copper Delicas, some dicro lined 15/0s, bronze wire (from Cool Tools), some dyed stones, and sterling silver wire.  I think I wore these everyday this week.

After I got over how much I liked making Russian leaves, I started to think that perhaps trying to go too stark and simple in my planning.  I had ideas about drilling a single pebble to make a necklace version of an ikebana vase.
source
I thought about tussy mussies and how I could make the bouquet holder from art clay or copper sheet.
source
Finally it hit me that I was thinking too small.  I whipped up a giant Russian leaf from green Picasso 11/0 seed beads and got rolling...some ceramic beads, some wooden discs (I didn't like the original finish so I sanded them and restained), some copper chain, some waxed linen cord.  I made a beaded toggle closure, but then I started channeling Fairysteps and decided to make a copper toggle with a leather leaf "ring."
tiny Russian leaves - about the size of my index finger nail
some large red white hearts set off the red enamel
the leather and copper toggle closure - I punched each side of the slit so the leather will not split.  I got this idea from  my Muse belt.  Check them out; they are great.

Click the links below to see all the other flowers:







7. Gigi - check out Gigi on Lorelei's Blog

8. Lois Moon** you are here

23 comments:

  1. Beautiful, your design is perfect to showcase the enamel flower.

    ReplyDelete
  2. awesome awesome awesome!! you rock! This is totally creative and wonderful in every way! I love the beaded leaf and LOVE that leather leaf that you turned into the clasp. Thank you so much for playing along, I hope you enjoyed the challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So lovely! A perfect design to compliment the enameled flower. Love the touch of leather at the clasp.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Holey catfish, batman.....you knocked this one out of the park! Your necklace I love love love! It is GORGEOUS! Your bead work is amazing! I love all the elements you pulled in!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely - great combination of wire and beadwork. Stunning piece!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The beadwork is wonderful in this piece and I really love the way the chosen colors bring your eye back to the focal. What a wonderful combination!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a beautiful piece! I love Jade's pieces and your necklace definately did it justice!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a stunning piece! having made russian leaves, I can appreciate how fiddly it was to make those tiny leaves! Truly a beauty. I just love the toggle too. Heading over to check the link on that one now.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love how you used the flower! It's a beautiful way to showcase it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lois, Your beadwork is totally amazing, intricate and perfection. I really admire it because I know that I could never create so perfectly! I did the same thing, I ordered a flower so I could participate in the challenge and I admired it for a very long time before I started creating! I love how you made the leaf that surrounded the flower and the leather toggle is amazing! (I am giving my necklace away, so feel free to stop by to enter! :-) )

    Love your work and have admired your blog for a long time! :-) Kris

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the offset focal setting very much! This is a perfect use for seed beads. The whole thing works very well, congratulations! AND the toggle is ingeniously lovely...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lois, what a gorgeous piece! I love each of the elements, and that they stand out on their own, and compliment rather than overshadow the lovely flower. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  13. You rocked this one. Beautiful grouping and love the toggle. So imaginative.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love your use of seed bead elements! It is a seemingly obvious idea to add leaves to the flower, yet it never entered my mind! Love the creativity of the clasp as well. Great job on the challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Very pretty necklace, I love the design and how all the colors come together nicely.
    Therese

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a beautiful solution you came up with!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh I love the way you used your flower! Very creative!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great minds do think alike. I love your beadwork just fab! I like how you pulled the colors together with a hint of red. And the earrings you made compliment the necklace perfectly!

    ReplyDelete
  19. love what you did slipping some bead weaving in there. The color combinations you used are just so unique and striking.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh my gosh, this is so beautiful, Lois, the beadwork goes so nicely with this piece. Colors, exquisite.. You really rocked this project.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Now this is The Design from the Lois I know - perfect offset balance, from the Russian leaves to the clasp to showcase the elegant flower. You're hitting on a 8 cylinders (or perhaps 6 or 4 for energy efficiency nowadays)

    This is the Lois who could take antique furniture, pink flamingos and other toys, blue glass, a big round oak table and mismatched chairs to create a room that no one wanted to leave.

    An artistic creation...Brava

    ReplyDelete
  22. Great work to compliment that sweet enamel flower. I also love what you did to make a clasp...genius! Love the whole piece.
    Jenni

    ReplyDelete